Burnie Coastal Art Group
|Region:||North West Coast Tas|
|Membership Fee:||$40 per year|
Burnie Coastal Art Group is a community-based, not for profit organisation whose undertaking is to develop and nurture artistic pursuits and interest throughout our community.
The Art Group was formed in 1952 by a small group of artistic people that saw the need for local artists to be able to speak as a collective voice and to foster and encourage art in North West Tasmania.
Between the years of 1979 and 1985, a small gallery was established in downtown Burnie where a numerous variety of exhibitions were held. Then, in September 1985, the group purchased the Uniting Church in Upper Burnie. This is now known as Studio 2 Eleven and, apart from the Gallery, incorporates a classroom, storage rooms and catering facilities.
Be part of their "new look' vibrant art group!
Enjoy all the benefits of being a BCAG member including:
- Regular social interaction with other art minded people at exhibitions and classes.
- Opportunities to take part in member exhibitions as an exhibitor and an organiser.
- Advance notification of classes and workshops.
- Preferential acceptance into classes and workshops.
- Personal access to a range of celebrated local artistic talents.
- Opportunities to get actively involved in the administration and organisation of a prestigious.
- Tasmanian Art competition.
Membership Subscription is $40.00 per year Couples Membership is $45.00. The Annual General Meeting is held in March each year.
Further meetings are to be held every second Tuesday of the month for a trial run of four months. From 1pm to 1.30pm for a cupper to start with, then the meeting begins at 1.30pm.
The Group promote art in the community by presenting exhibitions at their premises in Upper Burnie.
In 1979, inspired by the success of the Camberwell Art Exhibitions, the Group held an exhibition at Hellyer College, named the Tasmanian Art Exhibition. From these humble beginnings, the exhibition moved to the Burnie Regional Art Gallery in 1982 and, over the ensuing years, has developed into one of the major art events in Tasmania. This exhibition is now known as the Mancell Financial Group TASART Exhibition which draws thousands of visitors to our region every September/October. TASART coincides with Burnie Shines and is an important event in showcasing the rich and diverse artistic resource that exists not only in Tasmania but also in Australia as a whole.
The Group promote art in the community by conducting competitions, and also organizes regular painting and life drawing workshops. Their art classes are held at their premises in Upper Burnie.
Regular Art Classes
Art classes and Studio space for Hire will be commencing now at BCAG.
Would you like to try your hand at Art Classes? Or hire the space to work in a group of artist at the gallery Studio 2 Eleven Mount Street Upper Burnie. Members work in all mediums.
The gallery will be open from 10.00 am till 2.00pm Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
The Art Classes will commence on 23rd January 2018 Tuesday morning from 9.30 till 12.30.
The classes are for 3 hours $15.00 for a week.
For those who are interested in these classes could achieve a new medium; Charcoal, Pencils Pastels, Mixed Medium Collage, Acrylic, Dying Material, Lino Cuts, Encaustic Batik on board or Material, Screen Printing and Watercolour. Of course these classes are not set in concrete so you could change them.
Bring along any of the following materials if you have them.
- For the first few weeks for the ones who are interested we will be working with Charcoal, Pastel or Pencils to try to change the look of your paper- paintings - to free up your style.
- Bring along three objects, pictures, drawings or photos of a subject that you like to draw or paint.
- Some of you will have older paintings that haven’t worked so we can work on them.
- You will need photo copies in black & white from news papers or from books or some of your drawings that you would like to use to glue down with a Glue stick.
- Anything that has texture on it. (Lace, material, plastic, cardboard, coloured paper etc.)
- Gesso or white acrylic paint
- Acrylic or watercolour paints
- 300gm - 640gm paper or canvas.
We have 300gm watercolour paper & Canvas at Studio 2 Eleven to buy from $8.00 a sheet.
To Hire the Studio Space on Wednesdays or Thursdays from 10pm til 3pm are for members $8.00 per week or non members is $10.00 per week.
For more information or bookings contact Suzanne Hennessy 0419 504 539
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone Number: 0438 024 462
211 Mount Street,
Upper Burnie Tasmania 7320
PO Box 186, Burnie 7320