Emerald Arts Society
|Art Shows:||Twice Yearly|
|Membership Fee:||$25 per annum|
Emerald is a small semi-rural township about 45 kilometres from Melbourne on the fringes of the Dandenong Ranges.
The Emerald Arts Society was formed in 1969. It flourished, becoming the artistic hub of the town during the 70s and 80s. Classes were held all over the town until the Society was able to acquire its own studio in 1984 located on the corner of Church and Anne Streets, in Emerald. This was made possible by funds raised by through their annual exhibitions, monthly markets and assistance from the Sherbrooke Council.
Membership benefits include;
- A quarterly newsletter providing art news, details of classes and workshops and information to keep you up to date with what is happening in the Society.
- A membership card that entitles you to discounts at certain framing and art suppliers.
- Weekend workshops and demonstrations by well known artists at discount prices.
- Weekly classes that provide tuition in Pastels, Watercolour, Photography, Oils, Mixed Media, Leadlighting.
- Additional art activities without tuition at various times including Life Drawing classes, Portrait Group, Paint-out days, Excursions, Social events, Gallery tours and Theatre outings.
Application forms for membership can be downloaded from their website.
Junior $10 (under 18).
The Society’s Annual Art Exhibition is held for the four days over of the Melbourne Cup Weekend. They open daily from 10am –4pm from the Saturday to the Tuesday. It is held at their Studio on the corner of Church and Anne Streets, in Emerald.
The exhibition is supported by the Shire of Cardinia who provided a Festivals and Community Grant. In 2014 for the first time they also funded an initiative entitled “The Next Generation Awards”, which was specifically aimed at encouraging arts participation from aspiring young artists.
The winners are judged by a different artist of note each year. All work in the “Adult” section is contributed by current Arts Society members. Most of the art exhibited is available for sale with a commission payable to the Arts Society.
In addition to their main annual event the Society also have a second exhibition held in April, titled “The Performing and Visual Arts Exhibition”. The Society members contribute artworks for display and sale. They also participate in the photographic exhibition which is held in the GEMCO theatre in the main township of Emerald.
The Society currently runs a number of art classes in various mediums. They also have leadlighting, photography, wordsmiths and a monthly theatre night. Special workshops are lead by acclaimed artists throughout the year.
- Main Contact: Michele Bowmaker (Secretary)
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Phone Number: (03) 5968 4922
EMERALD, Vic 3782.