Kiama Art Society
|State:||New South Wales|
|Region:||South East NSW|
|Number of Members:||230|
The Kiama Art Society (KAS) is an active and vibrant society with a membership of more than 230 artists. Members enjoy a variety of benefits to support their practice, including participation in exhibitions, discounted fees for classes and workshops, and discounted art supplies.
The Society was formed in 1966 as the Kiama and District Art Society. Mr and Mrs Alan Spackman generously allowed the use of the upper floor of the historic Hartwell House stables at 3A Farmer Street as a meeting and exhibition venue.
Kiama Coach House Art Studio
The founding members worked hard to repair and restore the room and turn it into a gallery. The first exhibition was opened there on 14th December 1966, and the Coach House is still in active use today as a venue for demonstrations, workshops and a number of classes for both adults and children.
The first President was Arthur J. Woodcock and the first Open Annual Exhibition was held in the Kiama Showground Pavilion in 1979 with one of the main sponsors being Kiama Municipal Council, which continues with cash prizes and in-kind support to this day.
In 1989 the exhibition moved to the Kiama Leagues Club and all exhibitions have been held in its auditorium since, with the Leagues Club becoming the major sponsor. All Overall Prize-Winning paintings have been acquired by the Kiama Leagues Club and are displayed throughout the club’s building.
Membership benefits include:
- Demonstrations – discounted fee for members, held on the first Tuesday of the month.
- Workshops – discounted fees for members, held 4–5 times per year.
- Classes – discounted member rates.
- Exhibitions – members can enter work in our regular exhibitions, including the monthly Art in the Park, Old Fire Station Gallery exhibitions held several times per year, and the Annual Exhibition every August/September at the Kiama Leagues Club.
- Newsletter – emailed to each member every second month.
- Annual General Meeting – held 1st Tuesday in February.
- Discounts on art materials/ purchases – available at the following stores;
- Arthouse Direct in Nowra
- Chris Evans’ Framing in Kiama
- Eckersleys in Sydney
- Kiama Art Gallery in Kiama Downs (framing only)
- Kiama Newspower & Officesmart in Kiama
- Laird’s Custom Framing & Fine Arts in Albion Park Rail
- Levers Art Supplies in Wollongong
Single Adult: $35
Children K to Year 12 are free.
Membership forms can be downloaded from the KAS website.
Kiama Art Society holds regular art exhibitions in the township of Kiama. Exhibitions are also held in the Old Fire Station Gallery and at Art in the Park held on the second Sunday of each month in Hindmarsh Park, both venues being in Terralong Street, Kiama.
Kiama Art Society organises regular art workshops and demonstrations for both members and non-members.
Workshops are held 4–5 times per year, usually held on weekends at the Coach House, 3A Farmer Street, Kiama. They usually run from 9.30am–4.30pm.
Demonstrations are held on the first Tuesday of each month, 1pm–4pm at the Coach House, 3A Farmer Street, Kiama. Please be seated by 12.45pm. Join us for Robyn’s delicious afternoon tea and a chat afterwards. Entry is $10 for members, and $15 for non-members.
Regular Art Classes
The Society runs a diverse set of regular art classes and groups in the Kiama area. Members enjoy discounted class fees. Non-members are also welcome to enrol.
3A Farmer Street,