|Artist Name:||Julie Rooney|
I grew up in a household where my three siblings and I were continually exposed to music, books and painting. One of my earliest memories is of Dad taking us down to Mordialloc Creek in the 1950's with our drawing pads and pencils. We spent the day sitting on the banks of the creek sketching the boats. Great fun! Dad was always painting and encouraged his kids to do the same. Over the years I have always dabbled with painting, but with kids of my own and working full time, it has not been until I retired at the end of 2014 that I have been able to devote myself to this, and now have the freedom to paint everyday! Two artists whose work I love and admire are Henri Matisse and Marc Chagall. Their vibrant use of colour and bold lines are an inspiration for my own work, where I love to see the colour explode of the canvas and into my studio!
Julie is currently a student at the Academy Bendigo.
Art Group Memberships
Bendigo Art Society
Awards & Achievements Include:
- 2018 Academy Bendigo Art Exhibition - Best Contemporary Painting
- 2018 Academy Bendigo Art Exhibition - Best Painting From Life
- 2018 St. Paul's Art Prize - Unpacker's Award & Highly Commended
- 2018 Best Acrylic, St Mary's Winter Art Show
- 2018 Highly Commended - Acrylic, Bendigo Art Society, Eaglehawk Dahlia & Arts Award
- 2017 Best Acrylic, Bendigo Art Society Award, Dudley House, 23rd Annual Art Exhibition
- 2016 Highly commended, 11th Annual Anglican Parish of kangaroo Flat Art show
- 2015 Highly Commended, Academy Bendigo Art Exhibition