|Artist Name:||Karin Bowler|
|Usual Style:||Contemporary Realist|
|Art Group:||Macedon Ranges Art Group|
Although I have always loved to paint, my artistic journey really began in 1995 when I enrolled at the Julian Ashton Art School in Sydney to study painting techniques in water colour, pastels and oil. After returning to Melbourne, I furthered my training in water colour with Peter Foster.
In 2004, I moved to Mount Macedon, where the rich colours of the seasons provided me with endless ideas and inspiration. Focusing almost exclusively on oil painting, I joined the Macedon Ranges Art Group and the Woodend Art Group and exhibited my work for the first time in local art shows. During this period I also studied traditional and tonal oil painting at the Gregory R. Smith School of Painters. I consider these classes with Greg Smith to be a major influence in my development as a painter and prompted my appreciation and enthusiasm for still-life subjects. I also attended numerous workshops, including the Bathurst Summer School, where I found enormous inspiration under the tuition of Herman Pekel.
Although I do believe that learning tonal painting in the traditional style was essential for my development, I also feel that observing the techniques of contemporary artists has inspired me to strive toward a more individual style. I enjoy painting on large canvases using thick colourful paint applied with palette knives.
I now live in Docklands, Melbourne, but have continued my involvement with the Macedon Ranges Art Group. As well as enjoying the friendship of fellow members, I feel that being a member of an Art Group enables me to broaden my knowledge through interaction with wonderful artists who encourage and motivate one another to paint and exhibit their work.
Attended courses and received invaluable tuition from many wonderful artists.
Courses include tuition from:
- Gregory R Smith (Oil)
- Herman Pekel (Bathurst Summer School)
- Helen Cottle (Water colour)
- Ian Chapman (Julian Ashton School of Arts)
- Peter Foster (Water colour)
- Don James (Oil)
Artists workshops attended include:
- Colley Whisson
- David Chen
- Ross Patterson
- Amanda Hyatt
- Kasey Sealy
Works have been exhibited at:
- The Gallery, Mount Macedon
- Lithgow Gallery, Launceston
- Black Anther Gallery, Woodend
- Cope-Williams Art Gallery in Romsey, Victoria
- Macedon Ranges Art Group
- Woodend Art Group
- Baccus Marsh Rotary Art Show
- Daylesford Rotary Art Show
- Trentham Rotary Art Show
- Brighton Rotary Art Show
- Bendigo Rotary Art Show
Awards & Achievements Include:
- Hugh Ramsy Art Prize 2005 Essendon (5th Prize).
- Highly Commended Award at Woodend Annual Art Show 2007.
- Best Traditional-Realist Art Work at the Woodend Annual Art Show 2008.
- Highly Commended Award at Woodend Annual Art Show 2009.
- Highly Commended Award at Trentham Art Show 2009.
- Highly Commended Award Bendigo Rotary Art Show 2011.