|Artist Name:||Penelope Gilbert-Ng|
Penelope Gilbert-Ng ‘s journey as an artist started aged 3, Studied at East SydneyTechnical College late teens (Diploma of Painting, 1971) and furthering her development with her painting in isolation in Papua New Guinea (13 years). On returning to Australia 1986 studied with noted artists in Australia, New York (Pastel Society of America Scholarship), and New Mexico, (International Association of Societies Convention).
Penelope believes that continual learning is essential for self-development as an artist. She is Past President of Pastel Society of Australia and Master Pastellist with the Pastel Society of Australia, Past President and Fellow of the Royal Qld Art Society and sought after tutor with Art Societies and Groups Nationally in all mediums.
Penelope has been a finalist in the Archibald and Portia Geach Portrait Prizes and has had numerous solo and joint exhibitions. Her commissioned paintings are represented in corporate/ private collections worldwide. Winner of many competitions combining knowledge and dedication to her art has enabled her to judge shows since 2002. Penelope has written 8 articles for The Australian Artist Magazine (Dec 2000, March 2006). Australian Artist July 2009/ April 2011“How did you do that”. Portrait painting July 2012. May 2013 Acrylic portraiture. October 2013 Acrylic What comes next? April 2016 Beginners oils.Demonstrated (by invitation) at the International Association of Pastel Societies (Portraiture) May 2009 Albuquerque, New Mexico USA. Tutored for Artemis Art Tours Greek Islands October 2012/ May 2014.
Guest Artist/Tutor/Judge at Pastel Society Of New Zealand Pastel Convention May 2015.
Diploma of Painting, Fellow RQAS1, Master Pastellist Pastel Society of Australia.
Studied at East SydneyTechnical College late teens (Diploma of Painting, 1971).
Art Group Memberships
Royal Qld Art Society
Pastel Society of Australia
Exhibitions and events include;
- 2015 Judge and Workshop Mackay Art Society October
- 2015 Judge Whitsundays Art Exhibition October
- 2015 Guest Artist/Tutor at The Pastel Society of New Zealand May Convention Penelope will tutor at workshops around New Zealand
- 2014 Judge Watercolour Society Qld Annual September
- 2014 Tutoring in Greek Islands/ May with Artemis Tours
- 2014 Flying Arts Tutor
- 2013 one of 3 judges Watercolour Society Of QLD Annual September
- 2013 Joint Exhibition with Sue Victorsen "Grains of Sand" October Petrie Terrace Gallery Brisbane
- 2013 Flying Arts Tutor
- 2012 Joint Exhibition Mackay Artspace featuring Collaroy property and surrounding properties
- 2012 Tutored in the Greek Islands October with Artemis Tours
- 2012 Flying Arts Tutor
- 2011 Judge Brookfield Show
- 2011 Judge RQASI Gold Coast Branch Annual
- 2011 Judge Cloncurry Ernest Henry Awards
- 2010 Judge Art Whitsundays
- 2010 Solo RQAS Broadbeach Gold Coast
- 2009 Grand Champion Portrait EKKA QLD
- 2009 Solo-Feature artist Salford Waters Kingfisher Bay
- 2009 Judge RQASI Gold Coast Branch Annual
- 2009 Judge Brookfield Show
- 2009 Demonstrated Portraiture at International Association of Pastel Societies Albuquerque New Mexico USA
- 2009 Judge Gold Coast Show
- 2009 Judge Mackay Art Exhibition
- 2009 Joint Show for Mental Illness Fellowship of Qld RQASI Gallery Gold Coast
- 2008 Judge Longreach Arts West 40th Anniversary
- 2008 Judge Cloncurry Ernest Henry Awards
- 2007 Judge Watercolour Society of Qld
- 2007 Judge RQASI Gold Coast Branch Annual
- 2006 Judge Qld Wildlife Art Society
- 2006 Judge St Catherine's Anglican 1st Inaugural Art Show
- 2005 Joint exhibition with Don Hamilton RQASI Gallery
- 2005 Judge Watercolour Society Of Qld Inc
- 2005 Judge Caboulture Art Society
- 2003 Judge Maleny Art Awards
- 2003 Judge Woodford Biennial Art Awards
- 2002 Judge Beenleigh Rotary Art Show and Guest artist
- 2002 Judge 9th Annual International Miniature Art Awards
- 2001 Solo Lancaster Gables Gallery Ascot
- 1999 Combined Exhibition with Shirley Charlton Grand View Hotel Cleveland
- 1998 joint exhibition with potter David Charlton Gull Cottage Gallery Springwood
- 1998 Solo United Service Club Brisbane
- 1995 Solo Gull Cottage Gallery Springwood
- 1974,1976,1986 Solos Mt Hagen and Lae Papua New Guinea.
Art Work in Private Collections:
Penelope’s commissioned paintings are represented in corporate and private collections worldwide.
Awards & Achievements Include:
Awards and achievements include;
- 2012 Selected Maree Ellis Drawing Prize
- 2003 Awarded Fellowship of Royal Queensland Art Society
- 2003 Awarded Scholarship Pastel Society of America New York
- 2000 Awarded Master Pastellist of Pastel Society of Australia
- 1974 Commissioned to paint Sir Barry Holloway & Sir Michael Somare.
- 1973 Finalist Portia Geach Portrait Show
- 1974 Finalist Portia Geach Portrait Show
- 1974 Finalist Archibald Portrait Show.
- Awarded Diploma Of Painting 1971
- 1966 Awarded Scholarship to study painting at East Sydney Technical College.
Classes are available individually on a one on one basis. For further details, please visit Penelope’s website or view our listings for Art Teacher and Classes.
Penelope provides tuition catered to student’s needs. Classes are available in watercolours, pastels and oils and are the number of students is restricted in each class to provide individual tuition.