|Artist Name:||Peter Smales|
|Art Group:||Victorian Artists Society|
Peter Smales was born in London in 1958 and arrived in Australia in 1966. Peter began painting in his early teens and has been painting full-time since 1987. He lectured in Painting and Drawing at Melbourne University from 1986 to 1988.
Drawing his inspiration from nature, his paintings are principally known for their rich colours, captured moods and impressionistic effects.
- Art studies with Ron Crawford, Alan Martin and Sir William Dargie
- Bachelor of Education, Painting (Visual Arts) at Melbourne University.
- European study tour, 1982.
Art Group Memberships
- Twenty Melbourne Painters’ Society, exhibiting annually
- Victorian Artists Society
- Camberwell Rotary Art Show Judging Panel, 2002
- Victor Harbour Art Show, Judge, 2010
- Mount Waverley Art Show, Judge, 2010
- Hamilton Rotary Art Show, Judge, 2013
- Bayside Art Show, Brighton Rotary, Judge, 2014
- Leveson Gallery, Carlton in 1983 and 1984
- The Elgin Gallery, Carlton from 1985 to 1994
- Guest artist, Camberwell Rotary Art Show in 1992 and 1996
- Victorian Artists’ Society Galleries, 1995 - 2004
- Kew Gallery, 1997, 1999, 2001
- Without Pier Gallery, Sandringham, 2000, 2001, 2002
- Jenny Pihan Fine Art Gallery, Frankston, annually since 2003
- Peter has also participated in numerous group exhibitions.
Art Work in Private Collections:
Private and corporate collections are held in Australia, England, America, Japan and Europe.
Awards & Achievements Include:
- Norwich Award (Camberwell Rotary Art Show), 1992, 1994 and 1995
- Kew Rotary Art Show, 1982
- Box Hill Rotary Art Show, 1996
- Mount Waverley Art Show, 1998
- Inaugural Streeton “Longacres” Award, 1999
- Mildura Art Show, 2001
- Victorian Artists Society – Maritime Exhibition Award, 2010
- Sir Arthur Streeton Award, Sherbrooke Art Society, 2010
- Sir Arthur Streeton Award, Sherbrooke Art Society, 2012
He currently holds classes at Doncaster Artists Society as well as from his home studio.
Peter also runs various painting workshops.
If your group is interesting in booking a workshop for your members, please click on the Enquiry tab for information on costs and availability.
Contact the Artist
(03) 9544 4697