|Artist Name:||Roz McQuillan|
I graduated from R.M.I.T. with the Diploma of Illustration, and worked in children’s book illustration for many years.
I have had a passionate interest in portraits and the figure since childhood, and work in a number of mediums, including pastel, charcoal and conte, pen and ink, gouache, watercolour, acrylics, pencil, photography, mixed media, and currently, oils. I convene painting and life-drawing groups at Brighton Art Society, and have tutored in portrait drawing. I have studied oil painting with Peter Churcher, Lee Machelak, and Maxwell Wilkes, and drawing with Harold Freedman, Geoff Dupree and Godwin Bradbeer.
I developed a love of drawing as a child, when I first drew my ageing auntie in the bath. I have always been fascinated by people, their character and the individuality of their faces, which has led to my passionate interest in portraits and figurative work. My nudes are real individuals, not generic or idealized. I endeavour to capture the essence of a person and their own unique qualities.
I am always inspired by the drama of light, and the way it shapes and changes objects, enhances composition, and creates mood.
My work, including commissioned portraits and nudes, is represented in many private collections, both Australian and International.
Graduated from R.M.I.T. with a Diploma of Illustration.
Exhibitions and Group Shows
- Burke Hall Acquisitive, Carey Arts Council Exhibition.
- Mornington Peninsula Gallery.
- Camberwell Rotary Art Show, St. Kevins Art Show & Strathcona Art Show.
- Hawthorn Artists Society, Victorian Artists Society, Brighton Artists Society Member’s Exhibitions.
- Waverley Rotary Art Show, Dandenong Rotary Art Show & Bayside Art Show.
- Melbourne Society of Women Painters and Sculptors Annual Exhibitions and Member’s shows.
- Group show “Unwrapped at Roar” 1992.
- Solo exhibition of nudes at the New Zealand Ice Cream Parlour.
- Group show of nudes entitled ‘The Body’ at Images United.
- Selected finalist in The Alice Bale Art Prize 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2014, 2012, 2014, 2016.
- Group show of nudes ‘One Man’s Meat’ at Art Affairs Gallery in Carlton.
- Group show of nudes ‘Figuratively Speaking’ at The Highway Gallery.
- Gallery 112.
- The Discovery Show at Gasworks 2006.
- Nowa Nowa Nudes 2006.
- Solo exhibition at Brunswick Street Gallery 2007.
- Pink : a Fundraising Exhibition at Lumina Gallery for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Australian Guild of Realist Artists Members Seasonal Exhibitions, and Drawing Shows.
- Joint Exhibition, Australian Guild of Realist Artists Nov. 2009.
- ‘Gifted’ Exhibition at Kingston Art Centre, 2009, 2010, 2011.
- Multi-media Projection of photographs of Melbourne Graffiti at Kingston Art Centre, 2010.
- The first Juried Invitational Exhibition presented by the Solo Exhibition group on RedBubble website.
- Solo Show, Gaffa Gallery, Sydney, 2011.
- ‘Neptunes Garden’, Group Show, the Studio, Flinders.
- ‘Shot in the Heart of Melbourne – Red Bubble Photographers’ at Victorian Artist’s Society 2012.
- Featured Artist, Art 4 All Fair 2012, Fairfield’.
- ‘Art This Way’, Group Show , Gallery 9, 2014.
- Solo Exhibition at Beth Hulme Gallery 2014
- Group Show ‘Very Special Kids’ 2014
- Animals in Art 2015
- ‘Lady Face’ exhibition at Lentil As Anything 2015.
- Solo Exhibition at Lentil As Anything 2016
- Group Exhibition, Gallery 9, Como 2016
- Her work was also featured on Sarasvati Fine Art Virtual Gallery 2012.
- Solo Exhibition at Tacit Gallery 2016.
Awards & Achievements Include:
- Best oil painting in the Victorian Artists Society Student Show 1999.
- Highly Commended at Dandenong Rotary Art Show 2001.
- Best Picture in any Medium under $1000 at the Camberwell Rotary Art Show 2002.
- Selected to hang in the Alice Bale Art Award in 2001, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012.
- Best Painting under $500 at the St. Kevin’s College Art Show 2003.
- Highly Commended at Ivanhoe Art Show 2003.
- Dean’s Encouragement Award at Camberwell Rotary Art Show 2004.
- Highly Commended at Bayside Art Show 2006.
- Best in Show Brighton Art Society 2006.
- Highly Commended at Aust. Guild of Realist Artists Summer Show 2006.
- Two Highly Commended Aust. Guild of Realist Artists Spring Show 2007.
- Best Oil Painting bet.$600-$1200 at St.Kevin’s College Art Show 2008.
- Commended, Aust. Guild of Realist Artists Winter Show 2007, 2008, 2009.
- Highly Commended, Aust. Guild of Realist Artists Summer Show 2008.
- Two Highly Commended, Brighton Art Society Annual Art Exhibition 2008.
- Highly Commended, Aust. Guild of Realist Artists Summer Show 2009.
- Best in Show, Brighton Art Society Annual Art Exhibition 2009, 2010, and 2014.
- Best Painting by a Bayside Artist, Porsche Bayside Art Show 2010.
- ‘Best Portrait or Nude’ in the Brighton Art Society Annual Exhibition 2011.
- Highly Commended, Camberwell Rotary Art Show 2012.
- First Prize, Melbourne Society of Women Painters and Sculptors Annual Exhibition 2012.
- Commended, AGRA Spring Exhibition 2012.
- Highly Commended, Brighton Art Society Annual Exhibition 2012.
- Winner of the Canterbury Art Show Small Works Competition 2013.
- ‘Best Nude’, Brighton Art Society Annual Art Exhibition 2013.
- ‘Highly Commended’, Sherbrooke Art Society Spring Exhibition 2014.
- ‘Best Drawing’, Sherbrooke Art Society Spring Exhibition 2014.
- Winner, ‘Animals in Art 2015’.
- Highly Commended in Australian Guild of Realist Artist's Autumn Exhibition 2015.
- Winner, Constance Wu Award, MSWPS Annual Exhibition 2016.
- Our Art : Works by the Red Bubble Melbourne & Victoria Group.
- Melbourne Society of Women Painters and Sculptors : In Celebration of the 100th Annual Exhibition.
- Female Nudes : Paintings and Drawings by Roz McQuillan (copy in the National Library of Australia).
- Brighton Art Society Calendar 2009.
- Best of Worldwide Artists :Oil Artists.
- International Dictionary of Artists.
- Nudes : Drawings by Roz McQuillan.
- Noisy Rain Magazine, Issue #2.
- Dogs : Photographs by Roz McQuillan.
- Melbourne Graffiti : Photographs by Roz McQuillan.